My husband loves chicken soup but he doesn’t like the floating vegetables and will always eat around them. This recipe lets me serve him soup how he likes it without losing any delicious flavor!
I’ve served this soup alongside potatoes and green beans, or Crusty Artisan Bread with a bit of rosemary worked into the dough. It’s tasty and filling! And I usually have leftover chicken to add to taco or pizza night.
(2) tablespoons olive oil
(1) medium onion, chopped
(3) large carrots, chopped
(2) cloves garlic, chopped
(1) teaspoon of paprika (or to taste)
(1) teaspoon salt
(1) teaspoon garlic salt
(1/2) teaspoon pepper
(1) box chicken stock
(1) tablespoon vegetable / chicken base
1. Rub whole chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and paprika.
2. Roast chicken in dutch oven, covered, at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
3. Set aside chicken and sauté 1 medium onion, 3 carrots, 2 garlic cloves, and celery (optional) in the dutch oven. Add a little chicken stock if too dry.
4. When vegetables are tender, blend until puréed. Return to dutch oven and add one box of chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of vegetable or chicken base. Add pieces of cooked chicken and if desired, more carrots and string beans (optional). Place in oven at 200 for several hours or simmer on stove until ready to serve.